WELCOME TO ST PAUL'S CHURCH KEWSTOKE
Where the spirit of the Lord is all around you
held a secret
Black deeds were committed in plenty by men in armour in the early days of Kewstoke’s Church.
Woodspring Priory, viewed across the fields from St Paul’s, was founded by William de Courtenay, grandson of Richard fitzUrse, one of the four knight assassins of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury.
And as a mark of penitence William chose St Thomas as one of the patron saints of the Priory.
The grisly murder took place in December 1170 following a furious
The village or parish of Kewstoke dates back to before the time of the Domesday Book in the 11th Century and although there have been suggestions that its church of St Paul may have roots in Saxon times, today’s building stems from the Norman period.
The oldest part of the church is at its entrance – the deep porch with the interior door surmounted by a Norman arch, dated between 1125 and 1150. The door displays a sanctuary knocker with five nail holes representing Christ’s five crucifixion wounds.
Through a Norman arch
to a place rich in history
The font immediately inside is of early English style (late 13th or early 14th Century) and the bowl could be earlier than the base it sits upon.
The nave also dates from the 13th Century but with many later additions, including two windows on the north wall and, higher up, six 15th Century clerestory windows which are unusual in such a small church of this period.
The pulpit is a beautiful example of 15th Century stonework and is said to be carved by a travelling band of masons from stone quarried in Caen, Normandy.
The chancel arch, from the same period, is fronted by the modern rood screen erected in 1938.
It is the work of Herbert Read of Exeter, who was also responsible for the smaller
screen on the south-
An earlier rood screen was thought to have been destroyed around 1547 at a time when it was fashionable to eliminate elaborate artefacts in favour of simplicity.
The oak lectern is a recent addition, made by the brother of the Reverend Bryan Strange, Vicar from 1980 to 1990.
Visitors enter the church through the Norman arch.
The splendid 15th Century pulpit is carved from Caen stone.
tirade against the head of the church by Henry II – an outburst he later regretted.
But centuries later St Paul’s Church revealed a macabre relic of that distant, dark day in Canterbury Cathedral.
It was a wooden container shaped like a cup, displaying what is thought to be traces of the murdered Archbishop’s blood.
It was found in 1849 during building work, hidden in a hollow enclosed by a wooden
door under the sill of the north-
It is believed to be one of several relics from the Canterbury monks, this one hidden for 300 years at the Priory until fear of the Dissolution of the Monasteries forced its secret removal for safety to St Paul’s, where it again remained hidden for another 300 years.
Such relics of the saints had powerful significance for the faithful.
The cup is now on view at Taunton Museum.
The reredos in the sanctuary, depicting the Annunciation, Nativity, Crucifixion,
Resurrection and Ascension, was a gift to the church in 1923 by, and in memory of,
The Rose window, high above, depicts the Crucifixion and the lancet windows below, the Annunciation. Near the altar, an ambry can be seen, a locked recess to hold communion vessels, and opposite, a piscina, a washbasin.
The imposing church tower is dated from the 15th Century and features a pierced parapet
and higher stair-
The tower contains six bells bearing the inscriptions (1st) Anno Domini 1637, (2) Mr Joseph Sheppard Ch. Warden 1748, (3) V.A. CH. W/1734 T.B, (4) Anno Domini 1637, (5) Anno Domini 1637 Recast 1906 and (6) Modern 1906.
The memorial to the fallen of the First World War (above) is erected on the north side of the nave. The Second World War memorial (right) is inside the south side chapel which was dedicated to those who died in that conflict.
The entrance to the South Side Chapel (left) as seen from the nave. The reredos (above) is on the east wall of the sanctuary.
The 15th century font with its protective cover (right), the scene of countless baptisms over the centuries.
Praising the Lord: Kewstoke vicars down the ages
1322 John Manne
1326 Barthol. de Mora
1336 Joh. Price
1348 Mich. de Graynton
1430 Abraham Hoper
1463 Henr. Hoggys
1477 Will. Crosse
1479 Joh. Towker
1485 Olybns. Smyth
1486 Joh. Cherbury
1500 Christoph. Hamilton
1500 Joh. Chaplayn
1520 Ric. Carter
1542 Tho. Dawks
1554 Joh. David
1557 Joh. Baker
1570 Paul Methwyn
1579 Paul Methwyn
1607 Tho. Methwin
1626 Joh. Methwin
1655 Tho. Ham
1667 Sam. Willian
1689 Hieronymous Alley
1703 Wm. Crofts
1709 Tho. Goddard
1746 Benj. Burroughs
1763 Tho. Bateson
1777 Ch. P. Layard
1799 Thos. H. Hume
1835 Robt. C Hathway
1883 Sidney George Gillum
1892 Alured. Bayfield de Moleyns
1895 George Deverous Davenport
1905 David Lloyd
1910 James Berkeley Bristsow
1912 J. H. H. Doorbar
1935 Richard Knight
1960 F. J. Costeloe
1976 C.L. Ward
1980 Bryan Strange
1990 Robin Vincent
1995 Penelope West
2000 Natasha Schemanoff
If this short history has created a greater interest in our wonderful St Paul’s, the church doors are always open to visitors during the day and you are welcome to call in and experience the peace and tranquillity of its ancient and sacred surroundings.
What they say about St Paul’s
This place is magical. Such a wonderful feeling of peace and tranquillity, which today is a thing to behold – Visitor, Birmingham.
In times of a troubled heart, this beautiful and peaceful sanctuary gave me strength to face another day – Visitor.
A little glimpse of paradise – Visitor.
Thank you for letting us ring your lovely bells and enjoy the view – Ringley Ringers, Devon.